If you like magical vistas and challenging terrain, this trip is for you! Iceland is the land of fire and ice where volcanoes and glaciers share an island. This trip starts out in the capital city of Reykjavik where we will stay in tents at a local campground. You can spend a few hours exploring the city, and in the evening we will prep food and get our gear ready for departure in the morning. A day of bus travel will take us to the Landmannalaugar trailhead, where hot springs and day hikes await. The next 6 days will be spent backpacking and camping along the trail, hiking from Landmannalaugar to Thorsmork. After backpacking the trail, we will travel back to Reykjavik for one last night together in a hostel in the heart of the city.
This trip is centered around the backpacking experience, which means that for roughly 6 days you'll be hiking up to 12 miles a day wearing a backpack that weighs a minimum of 35 pounds. The weather in Iceland can change rapidly and frequently, often with intense winds. Your leaders will provide a packing list, so make sure you plan to acquire some additional gear for this trip. Remember that even though it is summer, it can still be quite cold and rainy in Iceland. This trip is great for any skill level, you'll just want to make sure you're well prepared. If you have any questions about gear or the packing list, please contact Amber Larkin (amberL@recsports.ufl.edu).
There will be a mandatory pre-trip meeting on Wednesday, June 21st at 7pm in the CORE building.
* The price of this trip DOES NOT include your airfare. In the event that the trip does not fill the spots (10), we will have to cancel the trip. CORE will NOT reimburse you for any airfare that has been purchased before receiving the "all clear" by your leaders to purchase airfare. The goal is to fill the trip by the end of May, so that you will have plenty of time to arrange your travel.
* If CORE cancels the trip, you will be given a full refund of your registration fee.
* You will need a passport.
* You will need to purchase student travel insurance through the UF International Center.
* Meals are not covered while we are in Reykjavik. We may cook a couple meals together at the campsites, however you should plan to purchase your own groceries or go out to eat.
* This will be the trip of a lifetime!!!
|Fri, Jul 21 2017 at 12:00 AM until Mon, Jul 31 2017 at 12:00 AM||Fri, Jul 21 2017 - Mon, Jul 31 2017||12:00 AM to 12:00 AM||Trips|